Friday, April 24, 2015

My Story of Being Sick and Tired




I am a very driven purpose.
  
Once I set a goal for myself, I achieve it. That works unless someone or something disturbs my plan.

I went into marriage, confident I would enjoy an intimate, mutually satisfying relationship in which we both could be everything God wanted us to be while contributing to the life of each other.

I knew I had my rough edges and wanted to be refined so I began reading every self-help book out there.   I have read over 500 books on marriage, resolving conflict, understanding personality differences and improving one’s life.

All that reading didn’t prevent the struggles from happening.  It did help me understand the “why” behind the events, but it did not remove the sting of disappointment.

As my husband and I began having children, it became apparent we weren’t on the same page in regards to our parenting goals.  I assumed he would be just as involved in our children’s lives as I was.  Apparently I was wrong.  This was a huge disappointment. 

When I asked for his help or involvement,  I was asking for too much.  If only I could do more, than things would be fine.  So I did. Everything.  I stuffed my resentment and disappointment and did it all.  I cared for all of our children’s basic needs, educated them at home and shared my Christian beliefs with them. Alone. 

When our third child died at 4 days old, I was devastated.  I clung to my faith in God, accepted the help from church friends and did the rest. Alone.

While I clung to Christ, my husband ran to substances. 

Finding objectionable items in our home was not part of my plan.

Being the “good Christian wife”, I did everything I thought was right.  I prayed.  I died to myself.  I fasted.  I forgave. I initiated conversations.  I overlooked. I stuffed my pain. Alone.

And then one morning I woke up and realized how much energy I had consumed trying to help someone who really didn’t want  or could accept my help. 

The only person I could help was myself.

I needed to figure out how to do that.

I needed to know thyself.

Thus my journey in Life Coaching began.

So, what is your story of being sick and tired?  What area of your life are you feeling stuck?  What is keeping you stuck? What is it costing you?

Stacy Rothenberger, M.S. CCC-SLP, CLC
Communication Disorder Expert
Mindset and Relationship Coach
Keynote Speaker

No comments:

Post a Comment